Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Goodbye for Junior Year!

Alright fellas, today is my last blog of my Junior year! Next time I post my musings, I’ll be a SENIOR!!! This year has been crazy for me! I started off with painting, which I have always loved. (click here to see my mountain piece!) Then I moved on to my tape project, which lasted for quite some time and churned out a lot of work! (click here!) It developed into so much more than tape hurriedly stuck onto a piece of paper and painted over (who knows - maybe I’ll revisit this next year)! In March, I decided that I shouldn’t be working on a project I wasn’t enjoying (that tape project lasted a loooooong time) and moved on to printing. (here's my thought process!) This was my water piece that I slapped onto paper with a piece of linoleum. Now, at the end of the year, I have decided to look into Pointillism. Ironically, I think this relates in more ways than one to my first piece! (psst - I talked about this here

Okay, so this has been a crazy year! I can’t believe I’m already writing my last blog! I had to double-check to make sure we didn’t start writing these second semester! I thought that I would point out the highlights of my year. 

The Mountain Piece, les Montagnes
Whew! I am so thrilled with this piece! I started this piece last year and didn’t touch it this summer. I was itching to finish it from the moment school started, and with two art classes first semester, I finally got it done! There must be a billion trees on that dang painting (feel free to disprove me - if you’re up for counting them all!). As much as I love it, there are still so many things I could change about it when I look at it. Even now, I would love to go back and add in different shades of trees to the forest. Honestly, I grew a little impatient during those last few weeks of blip, blip, blipping tiny brushstrokes onto the canvas. It also really bothers me that the right edge of the painting isn’t straight, but instead pulls inward towards the bottom. Overall, though, I can’t help but be happy with this piece. My favorite part is probably either the river or the sky. Both are very carefree and simple; very different than the intricate snow and forest! I hope to do a piece like this some time next year,

Okay, this piece kinda turned out to be that overbearing aunt that overstays her welcome over the holidays - nice at first, but then it’s got to go. I have no doubt I’ll work with this project again in the future, I just expect it to be in the not-so-near future. Honestly, I think one of the main draws of this work for me was having an excuse to look up quotes! I truly love literature and hope to incorporate it into future pieces I make. It’s hard for me to choose a favorite piece in this project - a bit like choosing a favorite child - but I do love the NYC skyline and Jane Austen quote. It’s a very minimalist painting that isn’t difficult to look at (if that makes sense).

Another highlight of my year was deciding to take Portfolio II instead of AP Art next year. I can’t wait to still be able to explore in art! I strongly believe that you should never be bored in art class or think what you’re doing is a chore. Next year I would love to work with Pointillism, pottery, printing, and continue painting in detail!


In my first (brief) blog post, I mentioned that I wanted y’all to be able to witness my process. Now, scrolling through my entire blog may make it seem like I don’t have a process at all, but there is an undertone to every piece I make. I’ve mentioned it multiple times, remember? Beauty. Throughout my art career, and my entire life, I aspire to create beauty through what I do.  I hope you can find beauty in my work, and will continue to see it the world around you! Thank you so much for keeping up with my blog this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment