Monday, February 22, 2016

Andy Goldsworthy

Happy Monday! My tape project is a rather extensive project that I can even continue to add onto next year, so I'm running out of artists that relate to that piece! This week I wanted to talk about artist Andy Goldsworthy because his work absolutely fascinates me. He is a British artist that makes incredible pieces with nature, and documents them with photographs. I've added a bunch of pictures that I liked, but feel free to check out this website (http://visualmelt.com/Andy-Goldsworthy) to see some more! I have to admit... I'm jealous! He gets to travel to beautiful places to create his art. I hope to visit some exciting places for my tape project too, but meanwhile I'll just have to drool over his work. Seriously, guys, I can't get enough!
This picture is so beautiful! I adore the deep green grass with the almost white crystal. Breathtaking!

Honestly, guys, I have no clue how he does it. How does he have the patience to match up those tiny leaves???

I love love LOVE this piece because of that gorgeous red color that draws your eye, and the absence of color creating that trademark circle.

Your eye is first drawn to the dark circle in the center of the image, but don't forget to look at the rest of the picture! The beautiful, lush moss on the tree and the way the sticks almost blend into the bark on the left of the tree - I love it.

Note that he only made half of the figure - the rest is a reflection! I would hang this picture in my house, I love it so much.

This is so incredible to me! ripping up those tiny leaves to make a line? Sheesh, I couldn't handle it.

I absolutely adore this picture - Fall colors are a huge draw for me!
As you can see, his work deals with pattern and color quite often. He likes to leave that famous circle in a lit of his pieces, which I love! The starkness of the light inner color against the black or dark circle totally draws in your eye and almost forces you to look at the picture. Make sure to look at my captions on the photos - I added some of my opinions and also things you may have missed! 

2 comments:

  1. This artist is quite interesting! I have no idea how he takes the time to do all of those things. That would take forever, and I definitely don't have the patience for it. Are you thinking of relating some of his topics (aka fall time, leaves...etc) to your work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice that you took the time to post images of his work and comment. I have seen his work in person and it is amazing. Much of the display or presentation of his work is by the work being documented as much of it is remote, yet anyone could walk up on the pieces and enjoy them. Remind me to show you an artist whose work I happened on in France. Would you ever think about manipulating something before you photographed it? Goldsworthy typically uses materials on site using land and nature as artistic expression. He is also an environmentalist and much of his work deals with time and change.

    ReplyDelete