In my artist's statement, I talked about how I want my art to be my definition of beauty. While I love photography and painting, I also want to include other types of art, like literature. Tyler Knott Gregson is a poet that does phenomenal work on a typewriter. He types his poems on any piece of paper he can find - the back of an old receipt, an envelope, a menu - and almost relates to e.e. cummings in the way he spaces his work. I posted some examples of Gregson's work below and some of cummings work for comparison.
I encourage you to look up more of his work - some of it was a tad iffy for the blog, but it is beautiful. I don't plan on writing poetry, but I used him as an example because I love his work and could definitely see myself using his quotes in my work. (see my last post for a description of what I want to do next!)
 |
| notice the random paper? |
 |
| while cummings didn't necessarily write on the typewriter, doesn't the spacing look familiar? |
It is interesting to see all of these outside sources that you are pulling in (e. e. cummings, Tyler Knot Gregson...) It is clear to see how well you have researched these artists and brought pieces of each of them to your work. I am interested to see how you will mix these two men (and others) and create your own masterpieces!
ReplyDeleteWhen you said -"Tyler Knott Gregson is a poet that does phenomenal work on a typewriter. He types his poems on any piece of paper he can find - the back of an old receipt, an envelope, a menu - and almost relates to e.e. cummings in the way he spaces his work.” Here is what I am thinking about that he inspires - Writing the poems on tape and then placing the tape on objects, etc. and then photographing. You can think about spacing, content, objects that you place it on, etc.
DeleteI am excited to see that you're venturing into even more diverse areas of art making...the art of literature is often overlooked. I see what you're saying about the similarity between the e.e. cummings piece and the Gregson guy's pieces. If you do work with text, do you think you'd lean more toward focussing on the formal aspects and letting the text carry the conceptuality of the piece, or would you think about giving conceptual context to how the words are oriented, colored, etc. ? That's sort of a weird question but I hope it made sense
ReplyDeleteVery interesting and astute post. You are doing good research, evidence is the artists you are looking at. Great that you are paying attention to the spacing. This gets me thinking about taking the poetry you like, using the tape, similar to what you are doing on your watercolor, but perhaps just placing the tape on objects, over photographs that you take, placing it in the natural world, etc. (you would write your text from the poems on it) and then capturing it with your camera. Let’s talk in class. I think this might solve some of the issues we have been dealing with and it would be a strong concentration, merging your interests. It would also yield a more complex concentration I believe. I can show you an example. Something to think about.
ReplyDeleteSomething to think about: http://artgallerystuff.blogspot.com and check out: Alison Rossiter at Yossi Milo Gallery regarding photography.
ReplyDeletehttp://artgallerystuff.blogspot.com/2015/03/alison-rossiter-at-yossi-milo-gallery.html