Monday, January 25, 2016

Hope is a Thing with Feathers

Hey everyone! This week I'm going to talk about another one of my favorite poets: Emily Dickinson. She is such a fabulous writer and I love to read her work. I've added a few of her poems that I'm considering using in my poem project. Have a favorite?


I think for the one about hope I'll use soft colors like pale yellow, purple, and green, because that's what I imagine when I think of hope. I have been working on a watercolor that I'm not too fond of because it looks really strange. It was supposed to be the night sky, but it's ended up being really weird and swirly. I am considering restarting, but I think I'll try to salvage it first! I'll keep you guys updated! Sorry for a short blog, but this is sort of like a continuation of my last blog, since I'm working on the same project and with the same idea!

1 comment:

  1. Mary V - look at the comments I made on your previous post. As an add on to this post and a response to the above, remember you said in your Jan 11 post “...but I am using the watercolor to be a visual of the quote...” If I was unclear, here goes another explanation - the watercolor would be replaced by a photographs of the tape being written on and/or placed on an object (like a tree, a shoe, a table, sculpture, the ground, etc. at whatever scale and maybe you could think of it like a surface, cropping out any recognizable object and focus on the color palette, texture, etc. to communicate or set the stage for the text. This might serve to be what your 'watercolor background’ was doing which was operating to illicit or evoke an emotional response and the like. Let’s chat tomorrow in class. Nice post. Keep merging that love for lit and bringing it to life or giving new perspective with your own interpretation visually.

    ReplyDelete