My art teacher recently introduced me to this new artist. His name is Gerhard Richter, and he paints over photographs just like I want to! He doesn't paint details, he rolls paint on with a roller. Here are some pictures:
 |
| I think this is my favorite, I love the woods! |

Although it isn't exactly what I want to do, it's still really cool and I can appreciate it. I especially love the first picture of the woods (I'm a big fan of nature). I hope you guys like this artist! I finally finished the right side of the mountain painting... now on to the left! I'll keep you updated.
Your interest in nature should definitely be in your work somehow as it is in this ENDURANCE piece that you are making. Take a look at why Richter used went about this process. Check out where I found this quote. Think about the idea of the photograph compared to painting, both which you deal with.
ReplyDeleteKeep up the good work.
http://5b4.blogspot.com/2009/02/gerhard-richter-overpainted-photographs.html
"For many photographers the image has no surface. The illusion of photography in providing a window into which we perceive literal description and dimension by Richter's hand is now disrupted due to the addition of paint. Often a tense relationship, the results run the gamut of the surreal to the beautiful to the disturbed. It is all the more surprising that each in its perceived completeness was in essence accomplished by chance and trial and error."
Mary V. I have an assignment for you. Two things: marrying your love for photography with your love for painting, I’d like for you to research both. First, photography: check out this information on Daguerreotype, which was the first photographic process. You can find info on it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daguerreotype
ReplyDeleteHere is another article, which I think you should read on Richter - because really this idea of the death of painting resulting from the photographic process which prompted Richter’s response, and the work that you have noted above.
I look so forward to seeing your next project. I think you are on to something worth delving into for a concentration.
Mrs. Miller