Thursday, October 22, 2015

Just A Quick Update

I have always been a lover of nature, but more recently I've become more and more in love with mountains. I'm somewhat obsessed, really.
I see pictures like this and my heart just bursts
So, last year, when my art teacher told me to work with something that I thought was beautiful, it was no surprise that my mind jumped to mountains. I am not very good at making have never really liked abstract paintings, so I chose to make the picture as realistic as I could. 
 I scrolled past this picture on Instagram one day and knew I had to paint it
This painting is taking a lot longer than I expected. I started it towards the end of last year and I am just now nearing the end! I am using Blick paint and a tiny brush to create as much detail as possible. I started this painting before I started this blog so I don't have pictures of the process, but you'll just have to settle for the "after" pictures!
my work so far

a detail of the trees and water

a detail of the snow
I hope you guys like it so far, and I'll keep you updated!

3 comments:

  1. Mary V. Excellent blog post. Thank you for sharing these images and providing background information. Steady as she goes. You will get this done. Its not the quantity but the quality of the work here. I think you will be really proud of this time intensive piece when you are finished. Keep looking at landscape artists/photographers... but also consider artists like Chuck Close (http://www.theartstory.org/artist-close-chuck.htm). I think you will find him interesting, when thinking about the time aspect and its potential conceptual meaning -

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when you started painting this last year and you were so excited about it! I love how the mountains look and the detail in the trees and stream. Will you paint all the way to the edges or cut the left over paper off? How will it be displayed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire, I would like the leave the edges "unfinished" as they are, almost bas if the painting is a memory in your head... I want whoever is looking at it to feel as thought they have seen it before. As for the display, I haven't decided yet. I would like for it to be matted (showing the edges, obviously), but I can't decide on a frame. Any Ideas?

      Delete